Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Au Bon Pain

200 Public Sq
Cleveland, OH 44114
(216) 771-0869
www.aubonpain.com

by Beau Cadiyo

This will be brief. I had a spicy tuna salad sandwich at ABP, which was, surprisingly, very good. The bread was ok, the filling was phenomenal, the price was high. Fine. Done.

I write to warn you of chips. I purchased the Food Should Taste Good Potato and Chive Tortilla Chips. These were, by far, the worst potato chips I've ever had. I shall elucidate:

1) Statistics prove, prove that you've one...no, wait. The bag had a drawing - a DRAWING - of the average chip inside, which it boasted was enlarged to show texture. Yet it was the same size as the chips inside. A small complaint, but telling. Of what, I do not know.

2) The texture was of gritty, wet cardboard. They did not crunch so much as yield with difficulty.

3) They tasted of the cardboard, heavily salted, with other odd flavors here and there. Sometimes I tasted the corn of the tortilla chip; sometimes I thought I detected a potato essence. Mostly, however, it was bland and dull. Combined with the texture, it was downright unpleasant.

4) Hope springs eternal: I finished almost the whole bag. I was hoping I would grow to like these. Frank Dumbrys, a workmate, tried one and discarded half of it. He then tried another, and discarded that half.

The name of the company states something true: food should taste good. Unfortunately, we are sometimes grievously disappointed.

Au Bon Pain on Urbanspoon

No comments: