Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tesco, Theydon Bois


Coppice Row, Theydon Bois, Epping
+44 845 026 9180

By Beau Cadiyo

I was driving to my private competitive ballroom dancing lesson the other day when Morissey came on the radio. My brain, which works quickly, rapidly delivered these thoughts: 

  1. Someone waited for this album to come out, bought it, then listened to it straight through, as if that was the most important thing in the world. 
  2. I used to do that when I was younger. I would buy an album when it came out, then sit in my room and listen to it, loud, to hear every note as quickly as possible. 
  3. I don't do that anymore. 
  4. Does anyone do that? I read a few years ago that the music industry is suffering because people are buying single songs on iTunes and then just listening to those rather than buying whole albums. 
  5. I got in an intense argument with Des Ayuno about that. I said that her bands should just release singles, but she said they had to release albums. I said that was stupid. I think she took it personally. 
  6. But anyway, do people wait with baited breath for albums from their favorite artists to come out anymore? If so, that is a romantic notion. 
  7. I miss having that love and passion for artists and music. I miss the days when I loved it that much. 
  8. Things are different now. They really are. 
  9. Seasons change. Mad things rearrange, but they all stay the same like the love Doctor Strange. 
  10. The Fugees. What was that, 1995? That was worth getting the whole album. 
  11. There are kids today who don't know who the Fugees are. They also don't know Rage Against The Machine. 
  12. That makes me sad. 
  13. Sebastian had the idea of making a sign, during the sweat shop protests of the late 1990s, that said "Rage Against The Sewing Machine."
  14. I remember rewinding tapes in my car, then playing them in order to make a song repeat. I used to get so excited when I stopped the song and it was right at the beginning, where I wanted it, during the dead space between songs. 
  15. There are kids today who don't know what tapes are. 
  16. I don't like the thought of being one of those people who think that they had the best childhood, and kids today should hold dear what we hold dear because things were better when I was growing up
  17. But I am. 
This BLT was surprisingly good for being shrink wrapped from a grocery store, but perhaps that was because I was hung over and extremely hungry. The surprising thing was that it had American-style bacon in it. 

No comments: