Saturday, February 16, 2008

Toujours Fresh

11321 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106

By Edward Sandwichhands

Sometimes a restaurant is just crummy. Toujours Fresh is one of those crummy restaurants. The entire process of dining at Toujours Fresh was unnerving, unsatisfying, and disappointing.

Toujour has a very basic selection of sandwiches, smoothies, and ice cream. The restaurant boasts that it serves “All American” cuisine. When I think of American cuisine I think burgers and French fries. Toujours serves neither of these staples of Americana. Rather you have a selection of baked beans, green beans, corn, a variety of potato salads, and a bunch of other home style food that is neither well prepared nor particularly appealing.

I had a meatball sub with baked beans and green beans (I know, weird, right?). The meatball sub was soggy. I am aware that marinara sauce makes bread soggy, but this thing was seriously soggy. The meatballs and the sauce were fine; however Little Italy has nothing to worry about. The beans were acceptable, just like anything else you’ve ever had out of a can. I finished my meal because I’m not a wasteful person, but I didn’t enjoy it.

I tried to eat as fast as I could because I really didn’t enjoy being inside of Toujours Fresh. It was way too bright, there was no one else there, and the manager was kind of creepy. Additionally, I feel compelled to note that the walls were bare except for a poster on the subject of “teamwork.” I noticed that the manager asked every patron how their meal was. Everyone muttered something or other so that they could forget their meal and go about their busy day in peace. If only someone would tell Toujour that the food was lousy, maybe he would put some decent items on the menu or take more time in making sure that the items on the menu were actually worth purchasing.

If you like Subway, you might like Toujours Fresh. The food is generic, predictable, and crummy. I guess it really is “All American” cuisine.

Toujours Fresh in Cleveland

No comments: